Veteran services

Clatsop County Veterans Services Program

A Veterans Services Officer (VSO) assists with matters relating to the Oregon Department of Veterans Affairs (ODVA), United States Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA), and related government agencies. VSOs can help acquire DVA compensation, pension, education, and death benefits for county residents. If an application is denied, this program can help with the appeal process.

Veterans and their families can also get help filing a claim for service-related disability compensation, non-service-related pensions, widow’s pensions, dependency allowance and compensation, burial benefits and medical benefits. VSOs can help connect veterans with other local, state, and federal agencies and resources.

Additionally, VSO assists in obtaining and compiling the necessary documents to complete the claims filing process. Forms typically include military service and military medical records, discharges and DD214, marriage certificates, divorce decrees, death certificates, birth certificates, civilian medical records, receipt information medals, ribbons and honors and any other information that may be required by the Veterans Administration.