IRC Context: Founded in 1933, the International Rescue Committee (IRC) is a leading non-sectarian voluntary organization that provides relief, protection and resettlement services to refugees and victims of oppression. For over 20 years, our Tucson office has provided a range of services, including resettlement and economic empowerment, immigration, community gardening and case management services. Our strength and success resides in our core values of service, responsibility, equality and integrity. We are strongly driven by our clients and committed to delivering high impact, quality programs.
Job overview: The Intensive Case Management (ICM) social worker will address barriers to the safety and well-being of particularly vulnerable refugees, asylum seekers and other ORR-eligible populations. The ICM Social Worker will be expected to provide strengths based and client centered case management to single headed refugee households; survivors of domestic violence and gender-based violence; older refugees; youth and young adults without parents or permanent guardians; refugees with mental health or psychological problems; refugees with physical disabilities or health problems; unexpected arrivals of refugees and secondary migrants; and refugees who identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender or queer (LGBTQ). They work closely with clients, colleagues and external parties to develop service plans to meet the needs and preferences of each client using a wide range of financial, medical, social, professional and other services and resources. in accordance with client eligibility and program requirements.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Determine client eligibility for the ICM program and conduct admission assessments, review program expectations, outcomes and confidentiality with each potential client.
- Develop individualized SMART self-sufficiency plans for each client enrolled in the ICM program.
- Evaluate client’s progress every six months during active program enrollment to determine client’s progress toward goals and work with client to identify new needs and necessary actions.
- Helping clients navigate the health and social care systems, which may include helping clients apply for benefits and attending and scheduling appointments.
- Conduct community outreach activities and maintain a strong network of service providers that meet client needs. The ICM Social Worker can also be expected to maintain a strong relationship with Refugee Coordinators and Health Coordinators at the local and state level to ensure client needs are met. .
- Provide clients with in-depth orientation on a variety of topics such as women’s health, navigating transportation systems, and navigating local physical health systems.
- Respond to customer crises, with guidance from the supervisor as needed.
- Assist clients in applying for financial assistance, if applicable, and track financial assistance received on file.
- Maintain documentation in the customer’s file to ensure services are properly documented throughout the customer’s service period; document all services provided in the IRC database, Efforts to Outcomes (ETO).
- Attend relevant trainings and meetings locally and nationally.
- May train and direct the activities of volunteers and interns.
- Other assigned tasks.
Key Working Relationships:
The position reports to: ICM supervisor
Education: Bachelor’s degree in social work, public health or related field of study preferred.
- Minimum of 1-2 years of case management experience with similar client populations and/or needs required.
Demonstrated skills and competencies:
- Strong relationship building, diplomacy and networking skills; ability to effectively build internal and external relationships.
- Demonstrated success in working and communicating effectively in a multicultural environment.
- Self-starter with excellent problem-solving skills combined with a proven ability to prioritize and manage time effectively.
- Attention to detail and precision in work product.
- Fluent English required, both spoken and written; proficiency in the language(s) spoken by the preferred client group, including Dari/Pashto.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Outlook); ability to use the internet and other digital tools for data entry, research and problem solving.
- Valid driver’s license and access to an insured personal vehicle.
- A combination of standard office environment, remote work and time in the field in the service delivery area to perform the responsibilities outlined above.
- May require occasional weekend and/or evening work.
COVID-19 vaccination requirements: Consistent with IRC’s obligation to provide and maintain a workplace free from known hazards and our commitment to protect the health of our employees, customers and communities, IRC requires new employees to provide proof of vaccination against COVID-19 in order to be considered for any in-service or hybrid position. All IRC offices in the United States require full vaccination to attend all office functions (eg meetings, trainings).
Commitment to Diversity and Inclusiveness: The IRC is committed to building a diverse organization and a climate of inclusiveness. We strongly encourage applications from candidates who can demonstrate that they can contribute to this goal.
Equal Opportunity Employer: We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity in our business. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status. We will ensure that people with disabilities are provided with reasonable accommodations to participate in the application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other employment-related benefits and privileges. Please contact us to request accommodation.
American Benefits: We offer a comprehensive and highly competitive set of benefits. In the US, these include: 10 sick days, 10 US statutory holidays, 20-25 paid vacation days depending on role and tenure, medical insurance starting at $120 per month, health care dental starting at $7 per month and vision starting at $5 per month. , FSA for health care and transportation costs, a 403b retirement savings plan with immediately vested consideration, disability and life insurance, and an employee assistance program that is available to our staff and their families to support counseling and care in times of mental health crisis and struggles.